Saturday, April 18, 2009
posted by Anamika Anyone at 9:51 pm


The CD was lying in the case for months. I hadn't yet watched Pulp Fiction. Maybe because I had heard that this was an exceptional movie and I wanted to wait for a good time to enjoy it. Well, I watched it today, and I have to say, I'm not disappointed.

Pulp fiction is a delightful-yet-sordid dark comedy on crime syndicates, petty burglars, and Hollywood. It's basically three short interlinking stories. Story 1: Contract killer Vincent(John Travolta: I didn't give a damn about him, but he has pretty much caught my notice after this movie) takes his boss Marcellus' wife Mia Wallace (Uma Thurman: that Bob! Awful!) out on a friendly dinner date. He ends up frantically fighting for Mia's life as she's ODed. Story 2: Butch Coolidge (Bruce Willis) is a prize fighter who wins last battle and runs for his life from Marcellus. I won't tell any more about this story because its so fantastic it has to be watched. Story 3: Vincent and his partner Jules(Samuel Jackson) land themselves in a mess involving a headless corpse, blood and brains splattered all over their car, and a couple who think its a clever idea to rob a cafe.

I read "The great Gatsby" a month ago. Like Pulp, I had heard glowing references made to it. Good story, but I didn't like it because I could not identify with any of the characters. All of them lacked substance. Even Gatsby himself. In Pulp, however, I've got a host of well-etched loonies to choose from. Lets see; who do I like the best? Mia Wallace with all her witticisms, her twist dancing style and those sharp heroin-addled eyes? Or Winston Wolf, the think-on-his-feet virtuoso sent to clean up the headless-corpse shit? Or Jules, with his scary evangelist voice when he recited a psalm before unloading a gun on a guy. Or maybe, Butch's girlfriend whose genuine sweet talk made me think of Audrey Hepburn. I cannot decide. No book I read, play or movie I've seen has been so rich of characters.

The movie had me glued to my seat, thanks to the unforeseen twists and turns. In the absence of abovementioned t.s and t.s there were kitschy, engaging dialogues and then there was the soundtrack. The soundtrack! I loved one song in particular; something about a preacher's son teaching.

So, to sum up: I decided I like Quentin Tarantino(all that extreme violence aside) when I watched Kill Bill. Now I like him much, much more.

Labels: , ,

 



1 Comments:


At 11:09 pm, Blogger sourav

Pulp Finction is a real good movie!!! a different genre... style lavish living...