Thursday, April 23, 2009
posted by Anamika Anyone at 6:05 am
Today I vote. For the very first time. I execute that activity which among other things makes my country a democracy. I fulfill my end of the bargain.
There's been a lot of hoohaa on voting this time. Its all over the media. No, not the politics; nothing new about that. The hue and cry has been over not voting. Please vote, for God's sake and the sake of India, please vote, they say. "They" here means everybody who gets 15 seconds in front of the camera.
I'm sure I'm not fully informed. I follow the news in a vague sort of way. I don't sit glued in front of the TV when politicians battle it out with other politicians in debate whilst TV anchors/moderators-of-debate look on amused. I merely glance through newspapers; what I actually sit and read are only editorials, glossies and comics. So, I don't know the whole story about each party and each candidate.
I have however, made an honest effort to get to know them. So, I'm informed, but not so much. I am very much inclined to vote for the person, not the party(unlike my father). I was always like this.
When I was in the 7Th standard, my seniors stood for the student body president elections. The candidates were mostly of the typical type; popular, athletic, not academically excellent but good. There was one girl; she was in no way that popular. She was a 70%er, an all rounder, sort of quiet but good in debates. She didn't seem to have that "Look how many people love me" attitude about her. Her campaign too, reflected actual issues instead of focusing on freebies and extra PT periods.
I voted for her. I knew she wasn't going to win because we kids discuss our votes and the verdict was out before the results.
She didn't win. She got 2 votes. Only two.
It felt strange that she had my vote and (probably) her own. I didn't regret my vote then nor do I regret it now.

Labels: , ,

 



3 Comments:


At 3:17 am, Blogger abhi

absolutely...
the media has surpassed all hype for these elections. But, they still have done a good job. :)
and congrats on proving authoritiy for the first time:)

 

At 5:52 am, Blogger shari

That says a lot about your character... especially your ability to think for yourself rather than being one to follow popular opinion. :)

 

At 9:27 pm, Blogger Anamika Anyone

Abhi & Shari: Thanks! :D