Tuesday, December 16, 2008
posted by Anamika Anyone at 4:54 pm
1. A long weekend?
As I walked from the office gate to my cubicle on Monday morning, I met five poeple who I knew I had met before but couldn't recognise. It was a vague feeling; I know I've talked to you before, but I can't place you. Boy, has it only been a weekend or what? I gave each one of them a hazy please-don'tstop-me-and-ask-me-questions smile and moved on. Some of the people I met too gave me the same look so I assumed with some satisfaction that I wasn't the only absent minded one in my organisation.





Ooh, speaking of memory, I watched "Memento" a few days ago. Now, as you know, I'm a sucker for a great story and this is one. The plot is brilliant. Watch it, even if you have to pay extra attention because the entire film runs backwards. Heck, thats the best part!

2. Rab ne bana di jodi... Par SRK ne bana di boring!



The same day I went to PVR after a long time to watch “Rab ne bana di jodi”. Now I'm thinking, should I have watched “Dostana” instead?
The story: A middle class, normal, serious kind of man marries a much younger, bubbly cheerful girl. This alliance was wanted by neither party, but circumstances na, what to do? So Uncle Sahni brings his wife Taani (strange name, methinks) to his house in Amritsar. Taani wants to break the monotony of thier “married life” and so joins a dance competition. Now Uncle S loves his wife and wants to see her always laughing and dancing, so he also joins the competition as Raj, a fliratious tapori. As fate would have it, they become partners here also. As they dance and spend time together, Taani falls in love with Raj. Now our Uncle S is faced with a dilemma. Taani is in love with Raj, Raj and Uncle S are the same person, but Uncle S cannot act like Raj day in and day out just to keep Taani happy. At the same time, Taani does not love Uncle S, so no point in their marriage. What to do, what to do!

Yawn.

The movie is half an hour too long. The scenes where Uncle S contemplates on love, life and everything else drags on like an expensive elastic band. And I am sitting there thinking, but what's the problem, they're the same frigging person!

Agreed, the story is pretty good. The girl who plays Taani acts well no matter what critics say. The soundtrack's catchy especially the dance track. Shah Rukh Kan, God bless him, rocks as Surinder Sahni, the serious, simple living guy with his mellow voice and white sneakers. See, this is why I like SRK. All the times people ask me in incredulity why I am his fan- this is why.

So much for the good points. I usually leave my logical thought process behind when I come to the theatre, but I still have some fundamental doubts with the plot, nay with the concept itself. If I were that girl Taani, would I take such nonsense from my husband? Could I forgive him for messing with my head by getting friendly with me as someone else? Oh, before any of that, would I not recognise him, my husband, sans whiskers???

Don't get me started about the other characters in the movie. It might be only me, but I did not identify with the dialogues, the mood or the ending of the film.

Labels: ,

 



5 Comments:


At 9:54 pm, Blogger Kartik

Memento hell yeah, fantastic movie, have you seen either of the indian remakes?

 

At 10:39 pm, Blogger Pallav

same shit, different actors :P
can't handle the song and dance routine of hindi movies!

N

 

At 12:18 am, Blogger Anamika Anyone

@Kartik: Nope, but I'm waiting for the Aamir Khan starrer.. Wonder how different it'll be.
@Nothingman:
Not all Hindi movies are bad..Though, yeah, most of them are.. :)

 

At 7:45 pm, Blogger Anil

Better than a newspaper critic. Appreciate your efforts.

 

At 3:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

come to think of it...the story in Memento is very ordinary ( just play it forward and think about it that way)....
it is the direction that is brilliant.