Friday, December 16, 2005
posted by Anamika Anyone at 10:50 pm

I've never celebrated Christmas tradionally.My family doesn't think much of Christmas except that its a holiday.But for me,Christmas will always bring back fond memories of high school.I studied in a school run by a convent,and those three years,Christmas time meant singing carols(they were fun to learn),decorating Christmas treesand the crib.In short, a lot of fun!

We were around 60 girls in each class,and there was a crib competition held to see which class decorations were the best.We girls never got along in normal circumstances,as you can well imagine,but during those 6 hours of the competition,we would be united like nothing else,against the same rival;the other classes.Then there would be carol singing competitions.God,I loved those.I learnt so many carols during those times,I who never knew the words of "Jingle bells".

But the most beautiful thing about Christmas was that the girls of all religions-Hindus,Muslims and Christians would take part in the festivities with equal zest.These girls,who lived in and around a locality in Bangalore,where the highest amount of communal violence was reported. We would truly become sisters in Christmas.

Then,there was the two week vacation.We would have just finished our final round of tests for the year,and the final exams seemed so far away,so two blissful weeks of doing nothing.After all this,in the new year,we would come back to school to bitch and backbite and fight just like normal 14 year old girls do.Back to the routine.

Christmas will always bring back fond memories of high school.Even though I may never celebrate it the way it is meant to be,its a pretty special time for me.

And Micheala,this one's for you:
(Actually,its for me also...I like to sing this)

Smelly cat, smelly cat,
what are they feeding you?
Smelly cat, smelly cat,
it's not your fault.
They won't take you to the vet.
You're obviously not their favorite pet.
It may not be a bed of roses.
And you're no friend to those with noses.

Well,don't just sit there,sing at the top of your voice!
 



6 Comments:


At 10:25 am, Blogger shari

Awesome post. :)
We sing smelly cat around my house-lol.

 

At 5:18 pm, Blogger Div

Christmas used to be a great fest at school - Cottons'. Merry making and food for the Gods :) I really miss the grandeur of the event.

And thanks for visiting my blog :)

 

At 9:43 pm, Blogger shari

hey that song is cool!

 

At 10:57 pm, Blogger Anamika Anyone

Ya,apparently the songs are the only good thing about this movie..I'll put up more songs of this movie soon..I like the songs.

 

At 6:21 am, Blogger Abigail Alexis~

What movie is this? I thaught that song was from Friends? LOL Smelly cat smelly cat , What are they feeding you? Smelly cat, smelly cat, it's not you fault. :P

Anyway, your post sounds like December at my familys house. Some of my family are Jewish, some Hindu,Some Christian. We all just have fun, and spend time togeather. Why lable the feastivities ? Anyway, this time of year is when I miss my family the most. I wont see them until after the New Year thaugh. I will be spending this weekend with my children.

:) AB

 

At 2:06 pm, Blogger Anamika Anyone

Oh no..smelly cat is from friends.. I was taking about the song you're hearing,from the player..Smelly cat will be a legend,its so precious..