Wednesday, August 17, 2005
posted by Anamika Anyone at 11:47 pm
I went to the Rising,at last. Not with my family, with my pre-university classmates. It was an all girl reunion, with samosas and bhelpuri at the mall, and then off to the cinema hall.

I can’t say I liked the movie. That would be a lie. But I was inspired. As a member of the second generation of people born after independence,I felt that the film somewhat invoked the dormant patriotism in me. Somewhat. Clearly, this film is not a lagaan.

Here are some pics of the cast.

The film starts off with the “Mangal Mangal” song.At first, it seems like a folksong sung by guys on an elephant,but only after the film progresses halfway do you get the full import of the words.The steady, rythmic chant “Mangal Mangal” gives me goosebumps.You can listen to it here.

Soon enough, you are introduced to a visual sight of the socio-economic conditions of “pre-revolt” India….

Enter India of 1857,which stretches from Kabul(modern day Afghanistan) to Cape Comorrin,fully under the monopoly of the English East India Company. Where Indian sepoys are employed to fight and win wars for the company. Where Indian nautch girls are sold like toothpaste in a bazaar. Where an untouchable sweeper is trashed for accidentally touching a Brahmin. Where a young widow is burnt along with the body of her late 80+ husband, under the pretense of “this is her Karma” shit. Where the gora sahibs (white masters) called the poor Indians Kala kutta (black dog) {Oh,please. We’ve had it with the overused comparision of Indians and dogs. Can’t they think of another animal; a hippo, a possum,a blast ended screwt,perhaps?}

The story of Mangal Pandey starts with a gun. But, in the end, its not really about the gun, its about what the gun represents; captivity. This is what the film is trying to say. But, thanks to the innumerable tiring clichés, the distracting side stories {What was that about Gordon doing it with an Indian widow?? Huh??}, the totally “could-have-done-without” song sequences {sexy choreography,though}, few got the message.

In a nut shell, it was okey-dokey.

The last scene, where they hang Mangal and subsequently all of India starts revolting, showing the untouchable sweeper as the first person, is a gem. The love between Mangal and Heera, the courtesan, is maturely developed. Toby Stephens won my heart despite his horrible Hindi accent, and Aamir Khan was, as usual, excellent.

Here is a dialogue, by Mangal, that had me;
“The minds of Indians had gathered rust for a long time,but a little grease awakened them today.”
 



14 Comments:


At 11:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous

hi,
first time here. nice blog. :)

 

At 12:19 pm, Blogger Anamika Anyone

Thanks!Do visit again!

 

At 9:08 pm, Blogger Shanshu

It sounds like you enjoyed the movie...I haven't seen a movie since Batman Begins, but I did enjoy it.

Maybe I'll go see one this weekend...you're put me in the mood.

 

At 1:38 pm, Blogger Anamika Anyone

g_samsa:
The movie was Mother India..and it was India's first entry to the oscars..Its a nice movie.Good songs too.Ya,a little irrelevant,I must say.
Nowadays,Hindi ,movies have fewer songs,but the quality of the songs has come down a lot.

I strongly advise you to watch Lagaan.Get a video with subtitles.Its Aamir Khan's best performance.

 

At 1:41 pm, Blogger Anamika Anyone

Shanshu:Go see it.Its good timepass.But the film is not historically correct.Lagaan is definitely a better choice,though.

 

At 1:42 pm, Blogger Anamika Anyone

Dane:You know I was quite let down by the movie too.Its an Aamir Khan movie,and I had some high expectations..

 

At 6:04 pm, Blogger Abigail Alexis~

Hi animika, thank you for visiting my blog.

I haven't seen the movie, but I listened to the music yestarday, and thaught it was quite preaty.

Some of my brothers friends in India, sent back tapes, for me, because they knew that I love to sing. I realy liked the songs with male leads, but could never get used to singing in my upper octives like woman in India do.I enjoy listening at least.

Oh well, a little off topic I guess, I just wanted to let you know that I have been by, and am happy you stoped by my blog.

 

At 6:19 pm, Blogger Anamika Anyone

Hey thanks,Angery Butterfly!

 

At 12:10 am, Blogger JR

Hey, I don't mean to butt into your "on topic" comments here, but your picture is awesome! I have to know, is it a painting, or did you photoshop a real picture to look like that?

 

At 9:39 am, Blogger Anamika Anyone

Thats probably a painting,Justin.I just happened to get it in my mail one fine day,and since she looked somewhat like me(ahem,ahem)except the Mongolian accent,I kept her as my profile..

 

At 1:17 pm, Blogger theBlueNibble

hey anamica hope u get times of india at yr place. did u read that column (swaminconomics) by swaminathan, the economist on sunday?? drains away a bit of patriotism frm that film.

 

At 3:01 pm, Blogger Anamika Anyone

I'm going to take the paper down again from the attic..

 

At 3:54 pm, Blogger theBlueNibble

good plan!!

 

At 9:12 pm, Blogger Naveen Roy

hmm.....read my blog for a tearing apart of the movie some time.....hope to do a good job on that.......