Sunday, February 25, 2007
posted by Anamika Anyone at 4:09 pm

I saw Mungaru Male today. Its rarely that I watch Kannda movies in the theatre, mainly because of the dwindling quality of films made, but this movie was worth the 120 bucks. It boosted my faith in the Kannada movie industry.
Mungaru male, meaning Monsoon rain, is basically your run-of-the-mill, boy-meets-girl love story. I've seen hundreds of those and if it wasn't for the subtlety and relaistic nature of this film, I wouldn't have bothered watching. This movie ends with the boy not getting the girl, and, get this, the boy does not commit suicide. He moves on instead. Doesn't happen much in Indian films and hence, a refreshing touch.
The script is poor, cliched. The film is literally carried on the able shoulders of the debutante actor Ganesh, the one with the quippy quotes and the always-arched eyebrows. Everybody else just about fits their role. These are some drawbacks of the film. But there are three main reasons for watching this movie. They are:

1)Veteren actor Anant Nag who plays a deaf colonel and the girl's father. You have to watch him, its a real treat.

2)The cinematography and the scenery. Have you seen Coorg? Gawd, its beautiful. Now I'm kicking my butt for not going to Coorg with my friends last fortnight. Seventy five percent of the film is shot in rain, that relentless, malnad rain that practically screams "Visit the Western Ghats!". And Oooh, that waterfall!

3) The songs. Good words, good singing, easy on the ears and hummable. I already know the lyrics from listening to them so many times.

I can tell you the ending. The rabbit dies in the end. This will not in the least affect the enjoyment process of the movie. Its funny, all through the cheesy, sentimental lines about love and sacrifice (jeez!) I was stonyfaced, but when the rabbit dies, I was hit by an inexplicable sorrow. Not for the rabbit. For the protagonist. Hmmm...

Anyway, I've put up a song. Its called Kunidu bare (come dancing). Tell me if you like it.
Here's another review with the full story and all.

Labels:

 



2 Comments:


At 1:35 am, Blogger Ookami Snow

120 bucks? For a movie?


...really?

 

At 3:37 pm, Blogger Anamika Anyone

Clarified it in your blog for you.